Saturday, November 13, 2010

CBC - Fusilli ai peperoni

I wasn't thrilled by this recipe, but I'd make it again. The preparation is kind of a turn-off though...


The cookbook was: La cucina dell'Emilia Romagna in 450 ricette tradizionali; Newton & Compton Editori 1998, page 83


Ingredients (for 6):
400gr Fusilli
400gr bellpeppers
80gr butter
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 ladle of fine broth
one glass of dry white wine
salt and pepper

Preparation:
Prepare the peppers (cut out the "innards", little white skins ecc.) and put into boiling water for a moment to skin them. I did this step only partially, the skin did not want to come off, no matter what! If you have a better way to do this, please tell me (I think one can put them in the hot oven?). Cut into small pieces and fry in butter and oil. Add wine and simmer until evaporated, do the same with the broth. Salt and pepper, and let simmer on low heat. Prepare the Pasta, drain and mix with sauce, serve immediately.


As you can see from my pic, there was no sauce. There were only single pieces of pepper, nicely cooked in wine and broth. I think I also added a whole lot of broth, because the peppers were still hard and started to burn as all the broth had already evaporated. The dish is also in desperate need of parmesan cheese to top it off.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

looks yummy :) I love the combination of pasta and peppers.

Regarding the peppers: you can either put them in the oven and broil them until the skin gets all black and bubbly (it looks awful but doesn't taste burnt at all). Then you take it out and cover it with a moist (paper) towel. You should then be able to pull the skin off very easily.
The possible "downside" of this method though is that it does take a while in the oven and that the peppers are not "raw" anymore afterwards. Depending on what you want to do with them, this might be problematic.

The other (and faster) thing I always do is simply peel them like you would a carrot or a potato. I've had great results just using a regular kitchen peeler.

Niki

Miriam said...

Thanx Niki.

Frankly, the skin doesn't bother me, although some people have problems digesting it. I think the next time I won't even bother removing it. Cooked peppers aren't my favorite anyway, usually I like them raw in salad or with a dip.

For this recipe maybe the oven-thing would be good, pre-cooked they might make a thicker sauce without adding liters and liters of broth :-))

Post a Comment

 
Wordpress Theme by wpthemescreator .
Converted To Blogger Template by Anshul .